Segra Brings Micropropagation to Cultivators Worldwide, Plus Exclusive Video Interview
April 20th, 2018
Exclusive, News, Top Story
The cannabis industry is rapidly growing across North America and around the world, but many cultivators are still using antiquated growing techniques. As these cultivators look to increase production, they’re increasingly looking at strategies like micropropagation (tissue culture) as a way to efficiently scale up their operations, reduce costs, and most importantly reduce the risk of crop failures due to pathogens.
At the core of this trend is Segra International Corp., which has become a leader in cannabis micropropagation. The company plans to go public later in 2018.
CFN Media recently interviewed the company’s CEO, Todd McMurray, to discuss its strategy in the space and what sets it apart from the competition.
Why Micropropagation Matters
Many cannabis cultivators use traditional cloning methods to produce genetically-identical strains. By cutting a healthy lower branch, placing it immediately into water, and transporting the clone into soil, these clones have a much shorter growing window than plants derived from seeds. Medical and recreational cannabis users benefit from known and stable levels of cannabinoids and terpenes, which can produce predictable effects and therapeutic outcomes.
While cloning may be much more efficient than growing from a seed, it’s still labor intensive and requires a lot of physical space to maintain the mother plants. Mother plants have a finite lifespan and are more susceptible to pathogens due to their longer residence times, while any clones derived from an infected mother plant will carry those infections into production. These attributes suggest that cloning is not only unscalable, but also potentially unsafe.
Micropropagation is an alternative to cloning whereby extremely small pieces of plant tissue are taken from a carefully chosen and prepared mother plant and rapidly grown under sterile laboratory conditions to produce new plants. Cultivators can purchase these plantlets at scale from micropropagation specialists, which translates to more cultivation space, disease free starts, and less risk of infection.
Segra’s Value Proposition
Segra International specializes in micropropagation of cannabis plants for licensed producers around the world. After creating the plantlets in a micropropagation lab, the company provides Stage 3 plantlets to nurseries and cultivators that in turn plant them in their media of choice, harden them, and move them into the grow rooms or greenhouses.
This process conveys several benefits for customers:
- Greater Efficiency – Licensed producers can effectively increase their productive square footage by five to 20 percent by eliminating space that was used for mother plants and instead use it for flower production.
- Reduced Risk – Micropropagation produced plantlets are free of disease and have no detectable pathogens unlike traditional clones which can vector pathogens throughout a facility. Segra’s strain storage options mean that cultivators can store their valuable genetics off-site and reduce the risk of an catastrophic pathogen outbreak or fire destroying their valuable genetics.
- Reliability and Security – The micropropagation process is highly scalable, efficient and well known for reliability. Segra’s Quality Management System including DNA fingerprinting of outgoing orders assures cultivators that their valuable genetics will be well looked after and secure.
The company has already signed up two top tier licensed producers to its Micropropagation program including The Hydropothecary Corporation (TSX-V: THCX). This Segra program is designed specifically to enable the licensed producer to scale up its operations for Canada’s upcoming recreational market. Management anticipates that these partnerships will rapidly scale into millions of plantlets sold each year.
Micropropagation has been used for many years in traditional agriculture and is quickly catching on within the cannabis industry. While these trends provide positive momentum for the company, there are also competitors sprouting up that claim to provide similar services.
Segra has several competitive advantages over these companies:
- Experience – Segra’s management team has over 25 years of combined cannabis industry experience. COO Ryan Tiberti founded Elevation Wellness in Denver, Colorado. CMO Ian Davidson founded Davidson Organics, which contract managed the production of 20,000 kgs last year in California, more than the top 5 Canadian licensed producers produced combined. Segra’s Director of Tissue Culture, Dr. Sma Zobayed, is a world renowned tissue culture specialist with two patents, 5 books and over 50 published scientific papers covering plant tissue culture. He has perfected the industrial scale production of over 500 plant species, has designed 5 industrial scale tissue culture facilities and is one of the few TC specialists with actual cannabis experience under a federal license. Last year in his previous role Dr Zobayed managed the production of over 12 million plantlets.
- Scale – The company has extensive hands on experience with industrial-scale micropropagation, and the team in place to execute its vision. When working with licensed producers, scale is extremely important as many of these companies are looking to quickly ramp up operations as they expand globally.
- Global Distribution – The company is located in Canada where cannabis has been legalized. From Canada, tissue culture plantlets can be shipped anywhere in the world where it is federally legal.
- Quality Control – The company’s in-house cannabis molecular biology lab provides fingerprinting and pathogen detection capabilities to ensure security, consistency and safety.
Segra International Corp. represents a unique opportunity in the cannabis space given its focus on micropropagation and competitive advantages. Investors may want to take a closer look at the company as it plans to go public later this year. If you’re interested in learning more, click here to receive updates prior to the company going public.
The above article is sponsored content. Emerging Growth LLC, which owns CannabisFN.com and CFN Media, has been hired to create awareness. Please follow the link below to view our full disclosure outlining our compensation: https://www.cannabisfn.com/legal-disclaimer/
This article was published by CFN Enterprises Inc. (OTCQB: CNFN), owner and operator of CFN Media, the industry’s leading agency and digital financial media network dedicated to the burgeoning CBD and legal cannabis industries. Call +1 (833) 420-CNFN for more information.
Follow Us on Social Media
About CFN Media Group
CFN Enterprises Inc. (OTCQB: CNFN) owns and operates CFN Media Group, the premier agency and financial media network reaching executives, entrepreneurs and consumers worldwide. Through its proprietary content creation, video library, and distribution via www.CannabisFN.com, CFN has built an extensive database of cannabis interest, assisting many of the world’s largest cannabis firms and CBD brands to build awareness and thrive. For more information, please visit www.cfnenterprisesinc.com.
Disclaimer: Matters discussed on this website contain forward-looking statements that are subject to certain risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from any future results, performance or achievements expressed or implied by such statements. CFN Media Group, which owns CannabisFN, is not registered with any financial or securities regulatory authority and does not provide nor claims to provide investment advice or recommendations to readers of this release. CFN Media Group, which owns CannabisFN, may from time-to-time have a position in the securities mentioned herein and will increase or decrease such positions without notice. The Information contains forward-looking statements, i.e. statements or discussions that constitute predictions, expectations, beliefs, plans, estimates, or projections as indicated by such words as "expects", "will", "anticipates", and "estimates"; therefore, you should proceed with extreme caution in relying upon such statements and conduct a full investigation of the Information and the Profiled Issuer as well as any such forward-looking statements. Any forward looking statements we make in the Information are limited to the time period in which they are made, and we do not undertake to update forward looking statements that may change at any time; The Information is presented only as a brief "snapshot" of the Profiled Issuer and should only be used, at most, and if at all, as a starting point for you to conduct a thorough investigation of the Profiled Issuer and its securities and to consult your financial, legal or other adviser(s) and avail yourself of the filings and information that may be accessed at www.sec.gov, www.pinksheets.com, www.otcmarkets.com or other electronic sources, including: (a) reviewing SEC periodic reports (Forms 10-Q and 10-K), reports of material events (Form 8-K), insider reports (Forms 3, 4, 5 and Schedule 13D); (b) reviewing Information and Disclosure Statements and unaudited financial reports filed with the Pink Sheets or www.otcmarkets.com; (c) obtaining and reviewing publicly available information contained in commonlyknown search engines such as Google; and (d) consulting investment guides at www.sec.gov and www.finra.com. You should always be cognizant that the Profiled Issuers may not be current in their reporting obligations with the SEC and OTCMarkets and/or have negative signs at www.otcmarkets.com (See section below titled "Risks Related to the Profiled Issuers, which provides additional information pertaining thereto). For making specific investment decisions, readers should seek their own advice and that of their own professional advisers. CFN Media Group, which owns CannabisFN, may be compensated for its Services in the form of cash-based and/or equity-based compensation in the companies it writes about, or a combination of the two. For full disclosure, please visit: https://www.cannabisfn.com/legal-disclaimer/. A short time after we acquire the securities of the foregoing company, we may publish the (favorable) information about the issuer referenced above advising others, including you, to purchase; and while doing so, we may sell the securities we acquired. In addition, a third-party shareholder compensating us may sell his or her shares of the issuer while we are publishing favorable information about the issuer. Except for the historical information presented herein, matters discussed in this article contain forward-looking statements that are subject to certain risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from any future results, performance or achievements expressed or implied by such statements. CFN Media Group, which owns CannabisFN, is not registered with any financial or securities regulatory authority, and does not provide nor claims to provide investment advice or recommendations to readers of this release. CFN Media Group, which owns CannabisFN, may from time to time have a position in the securities mentioned herein and will increase or decrease such positions without notice. For making specific investment decisions, readers should seek their own advice and that of their own professional advisers. CFN Media Group, which owns CannabisFN, may be compensated for its Services in the form of cash-based and/or equity- based compensation in the companies it writes about, or a combination of the two. For full disclosure please visit: https://www.cannabisfn.com/legal-disclaimer/.